This week we will be looking at I Samuel 4-6. This is the story where the Israelites made the decision without asking God to take the Ark of the Covenant into battle with them. They were soundly defeated and the Ark was captured.
We want the kids to understand that when we make decisions on our own, we sometimes make very bad decisions that separates us from God. Here are the small group questions:
- Have you ever felt like God has abandoned you? When?
- How did you get re-connected?
a.(Emphasize with the kids that when they feel a big distance from God, it is us, not God who has moved away.
- Why does God punish people when they sin?
a. (Repentance leads to connection with God and job. Sometimes people are more repentant when punished)
- Tell me of a time when you, or someone you know tried to use God like a genie in a bottle.
a. (you may need to share from your own experience)
- Have any of your friends or siblings tried to use you to just get what they want?
a. How did you feel about that.
b. How do you think that makes God feel?
- What symbols do we sometimes put in the place of God?